There are many applications for macOS that allow scanning of images or text. Most of them are however complex, slow or not really suited for scanning documents or letters.
PDFScanner has been created with one simple task in mind: Scanning and archiving documents as quick and easy as possible, and making them findable with Spotlight search.
- Support for all scanners that are supported by the Mac OS X Image Capture application (please check that using the scanner in Image Capture works before purchasing to be sure)
- Optical character recognition (OCR) to make the document searchable, allow to find it via Spotlight and other search tools or copy the text.
- Supported OCR languages: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and Finnish
- Intuitive and fast user interface to reorder, delete or edit pages
- Fully automatic straightening of crooked pages (deskew)
- Full multithreading support
- Scanning, OCR and straightening is done on multiple pages in parallel and you can even reorder or delete pages while PDFScanner is still working
- „Fake Duplex“ mode to simplify scanning of double sided documents without a duplex scanner
- Saving to PDF (optionally compressing the scan inside the PDF to save disk space)
- It is also possible to open or import existing PDF documents and perform OCR on them via a menu option (the language can be set in the Preferences).
These features make PDFScanner the perfect software for people who own an all-in-one printer with an ADF (automatic document feeder) scanner which often come with crappy scanning software for Macs (or even without any software besides the driver at all).
PDFScanner runs on macOS from El Capitan to Mojave and is only available on the Mac App Store.
Feel free to send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org